Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Deadpool 2 (2018)

Wisecracking mercenary Deadpool joins forces with three mutants- Bedlam, Shatterstar and Domino- to protect from the all-powerful Cable (Source: Google.com) 

Trailer- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D86RtevtfrA

Rating- R
Genre- Fantasy/Science Fiction
Warnings- Strong language/extreme violence/sensitive themes regarding child abuse and suicide


After the heartbreak endured in "Avengers: Infinity War," the next course of action on my list of what to watch next was, "Deadpool 2" because everyone knows that this character will make you have a good time.

Even the most basic of Marvel fans have heard about how awesome Deadpool (also known as Wade Winston Wilson) can be. I think the first time I really knew who this smart mouth mercenary was when I was in high school and I got the password to one of my brother's friends Netflix account, so I watched a couple of Marvel animated movies- one of them being Hulk Vs. (2009).

For the few minutes that Deadpool appeared in that film, I fell in love with him. Though his background is certainly one of the most harrowing, it's also handled carefully with the right amount of comedy and sincerity about his many, many issues. It's been talked upon countless times in his comics since his first appearance in 1991.

Although Deadpool was created as a parody character of Marvel villain, Deathstroke, it appears that the parody has grown a larger cult following compared to its inspiration. The crowd was packed on opening night for "Deadpool 2" and I was not surprised. Fans were ready to see what this stupid, crazy immortal had up his sleeve this time after his origin movie, "Deadpool" (2016) where we got to see how this anti-hero came to be, plus the tragedy of the man behind the mask.

In his sequel there is a child that needs the help from the Merc with the Mouth, and with some new buddies, Deadpool fights to save him from being assassinated by a half-cyborg man from the future.

Knowing me, I'm not the biggest fan of sequels, but I was ecstatic to watch this in theaters. Was I right to be excited, and the movie turned out to be a killer success, or did it suffer so badly that I'd rather watch Deadpool in X-Men Origins: Wolverine again?


As brought up earlier, the plot of the sequel focuses on Deadpool (Ryan Reynolds) and his mission to save a young boy from a man named Cable (Josh Brolin) who is on his own mission to kill the boy for unknown reasons- at first.

Through this, Deadpool discovers the power of family from the most unexpected of individuals. You think I'm being cheesy or lazy with my writing there? Nope, Deadpool literally tells you this at the start of the movie, that this movie is a family film. I liked that this is pretty much a repetition of how he said the first movie was a love story, and he's telling you what to expect.

Obviously, him saying this doesn't mean it's a typical family film- it is rated R after all. However, the genre did tie in nicely with the series of events that played out, and it's cool to watch this family film be so unorthodox.

The run time is an hour and forty nine minutes long, making it basically two hours, but I was not bored for a second. The movie had a strong pace and there wasn't a moment where you'd want to look down at your phone or sneak out to go to the bathroom because everything seemed significant to the story.

I also liked the way in which the writers had the talent to mix drama and humor together, because it can be challenging to have those tie in together and make it work. You could be a bit thrown off by the shift in tone the first few times but you start to realize that it works for the movie.

When you're thrown off, it doesn't mean that scene was awful or it ruins the whole film, it just takes to getting used to. You could have a genuinely sad scene occur and right after that a silly statement to relieve the tension. I think the delivery and timing of the actors is what really helps avoid the movie from being really annoying. I remember wanting more quips because I wanted to see what the characters would come up with.

Speaking of characters, all of them were likable in their own way. From heroes to villains, each actor brought out strong performances in the people they were casted as. Deadpool is undoubtedly one of the funniest Marvel characters to spawn in our lifetime, but without the help of Reynolds to bring his character to life, the mercenary could have went down in the box office.

Brolin as Cable preformed great as well, and it wasn't until after I watched the film that I discovered that Brolin also acted as Thanos in "Avengers: Infinity War" which is impressive given the differences between the two characters. What will be even more impressive is the double amount of memes created about Brolin as these characters. I'm sure he'll have a field day with Tumblr.


The kid in the middle of this drama, named Russell (Julian Dennison) did well with his part, although there were times where I found some of his lines a bit too cheesy. Looking back on it though, I'll just chalk that up to normal behavior for a young child to do.

I think Russell was a symbol of the abuse inflicted upon people when they are young for being different from other people, specifically being a part of the LGBTQ community. The X-Men are sometimes compared to LGBTQ people who face tribulations against those who bash their sexuality, so it's not a stretch to witness similarities between kids like Russell who are ostracized from society to people who have fought to be accepted for who they are for many years.

Deadpool's inclusion in Russell's life was sweeter than one would expect, as you can tell Deadpool tries his best to protect the boy throughout the movie. His decisions to go about that weren't always the best, but one could find kindness in Deadpool's heart when it comes to children since he's been a troubled child in the past. This isn't highlighted a lot in the movie, but it's implied and it could be easy to miss if you're not paying attention.

Another new character that is making their first appearance in this Deadpool series is Domino (Zazie Beets) who is a member of the team that Deadpool ends up forming. She too was very likable, and I think her superpower is supposed to be a joke about how overpowering characters are in comics because their powers are typically giving them Godlike abilities- thus ruining any concern a reader might have about whether that character will survive or not because oftentimes they do. I enjoyed her appearance, attitude, and the fact that she wasn't used as a sex symbol or love interest for anybody. If anything, it was the male characters that exuded more of that.

The only complaint that I would have about this movie is how by the end of it, everything that transpired felt pointless. Deadpool is the king of breaking the fourth wall, but the ending of the movie takes this to a whole new level where this power completely eradicates major plot points. I have trouble being content with this, because this opens a million of questions. If Deadpool could do that, could he change things in other Marvel movies? Is the audience supposed to see this as canon to the story? Does this defeat the purpose of the moral the film was trying to achieve?


I'm sure that at the end of the day, this may be canon to future Deadpool films but it's also meant as a fun joke that won't go any further than this sequel. Besides, this doesn't take away from the fact that this movie was amazing! The story was fun to follow, the characters were all lovable, music choice was random but appropriate for a movie about Deadpool.

Would I recommend watching it? Yes. Would I watch it again? Yes. Would I buy it on DvD? No.

Just kidding! Yes, I would absolutely get it on DvD.

I give "Deadpool 2" a 5 out of 5 stars.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!
.
.
.
.
.

Did Wade and Vanessa break up between the first and second movie? She couldn't handle his deformed face, I guess.

A dig at Wolverine. You are a cold one, Deadpool. So when will that be selling at the next comic con?

The scene where Deadpool blows himself up had an amazing shot.

Don't tell me Vanessa broke up with him because he missed an anniversary. That would be so immature of her considering all that they've been through.

Thank God, my assumptions weren't correct! She's still the most awesome girlfriend anyone could ever have.

A baby? Maybe now is not the best time to have a baby when your boyfriend is both a mercenary and an immortal.

I just love Wade and Vanessa's chemistry. They have a love that I hope I can one day have...

They're not going to kill off Vanessa. It's only been a few minutes.

So...I guess Vanessa's dead now. What the hell?!

Is Wade hugging the killer because he's happy? This is a comedy with dark humor, so maybe- and they both got hit by a car...

It's needless to say that the introduction to the title is hilarious and cinematic, but the Celine Dion song is also really good. I've already listened to it ten times in a row, and probably more in the future.

Is Vanessa going to be Death from the Deadpool comics? If so, then I could probably be more content with her death.

Negasonic Teenage Warhead has a girlfriend and it's nice how they state it and that's all. No overwhelming displays of affection, because some people need to realize that just because someone is interested in the same sex that doesn't mean they're shoving kissing down their throats all the time.

The X-Men hiding away from Deadpool was so funny! I love the humor in this.

Little Orphan Annie eating cereal?

Are there any plus size superheroes or villains that aren't jokes about just because they've bigger?
I can't recall. Man, do we have a long way to go to have every kind of person included in a positive light.

What character is on that pen the kid is holding? Barbie?

Deadpool told you to not befriend him and find someone else, and you're sad that he says he doesn't care about you? Why are you surprised by that now?

Terry Crews! He's going to kick butt!

I can't help but feel like they made Domino black strictly because people have complained about a lack of diversity in entertainment. I like the character, but it's been bugging me. It's nice and all, it really is, and it would be amazing to have much more diversity in our entertainment industry. However,  I don't want everyone to feel pressured to put their original character in a different mold because they fear people will call them racist for having an all white cast.

In some stories, it's makes sense to have an all white cast (depending on era or location) and even if it's not, if that's the original character and you can't picture them being anything other than that then I wouldn't get angry about that. I say let people with minority leads be more prominent in media, give them a wider lenses in the eyes of audiences so they get recognized more. Plus, if there are minority characters who don't have to appear negatively, then don't let them be negative.

Don't push the toxic stereotypes, because I think that's a bigger issue. People are upset that when there are minorities on screen, they are ghetto or a drug dealer or seen as promiscuous and so much more negative outlooks. Unless the script requires that character to behave that way (example- a villain) then tone it down a bit.

Peter is going to be the surprise person to kill the villain in the end. Bet.

Peter is gone! Well, I guess X-Force wasn't meant to be...by the way, who's the guy who played Zeitgeist, the one who spits acid? He looks familiar. It! He played It in the new movie!

Stan Lee mural cameo!

The audience was really getting a kick out of those baby legs. They couldn't stop laughing.

I wish there was more of Negasonic and her girlfriend fighting Juggernaut. I expected more out of the two of them.

The great and mighty Juggernaut has now been seen with an electrical cord up his butt. Fans of him, look at his glory.

Wade and Vanessa both died by a gunshot (also in the same spot I think).

"Why aren't I crying?" said a young woman near me who had big reactions throughout the film. She was referring to Deadpool's death scene where he would be able to finally stay dead. I don't think that scene was all too sad, but the one afterwards with Vanessa telling Deadpool he can't stay after all and then the two kissing to an acoustic version of Take on Me while Wade looked like his normal self was more emotional. I wonder if she silently cried to that.

Damn, this kissing scene with Take on Me in the background really is emotional. I can't cry to a Deadpool movie...

What made Cable want to turn back time to revive Deadpool? Let him rest in peace and be with Vanessa. Cable is a jerk.

After all of this work saving your wife and daughter, you're not going to return to them? Don't you think death is better than not having a husband and father around suddenly? I know what it is, Cable was an absent father or divorced from the wife and when he went to check on them for a second chance they were dead. That would explain why he's so cool with just never seeing them again, because they could do without him.

Go taxi driver, with your first kill!

I see Juggernaut getting out of the pool...So you know he's going to be a villain in the sequel.

Is the section where Deadpool is saving Vanessa and Peter's life canon? I was sad with Vanessa dead but I would have liked that better. Could've been a great direction towards her playing Death.

So Deadpool saved Peter but not the other members of the X-Force? Why? Also, Terry Crews' character could have survived! He just crashed into a bus, there's a possibility.

Ryan Reynolds can make fun of himself so well. Shooting himself in the head. I like that in a man.










No comments:

Post a Comment

MY HUSBAND WON'T FIT (EP. 1-5)

Check out my first installment of my 3-part breakdown of this Japanese series. Please LIKE & SUBSCRIBE for updates. Thank you! https://w...