Sunday, May 13, 2018

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

Iron Man, Thor, the Hulk and the rest of the Avengers unite to battle their most powerful enemy yet- the evil Thanos. On a mission to collect all six Infinity Stones, Thanos plans to use the artifacts to inflict his twisted will on reality. The fate of the planet and existence itself has never been more uncertain as everything the Avengers have fought for has led up to this moment. (Google.com)

Trailer- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZfuNTqbHE8

Rating- PG-13
Genre- Fantasy/Science Fiction
Warnings- Minor language/Disturbing imagery


It has been ten long years since Marvel Studios started seducing people into following an intricate timeline of superhero movies that would eventually lead up to this movie that they've all been waiting for: 'Avengers: Infinity War.'

Starting with the first 'Iron Man' released in May 2008 (or 'Captain America: The First Avenger' if you want to make the timeline linear) fans have witnessed the origins of every single character that plays a major role in this life or death war against a villain that we all knew was coming, but still weren't prepared for.

Fans who chose to watch this movie had to brace themselves for all the action, drama, and twists to come. After all of these years, was 'Infinity War' worth the wait or should this story just disappear off the Earth?

In 'Infinity War' the story is about nearly all of the Marvel heroes working together to try and stop the malicious titan Thanos who is fighting to gather all of the infinity stones: Space, Reality, Power, Mind, Time, and Soul.

I was concerned that with such a bounty of characters, the story would be lopsided and offer more attention to certain people while others would be left to the wayside. Although there are some characters who definitely don't receive as much screen time, based on the series of events, it makes sense that the audience would not see them until a certain time. I believe each character had enough time to make an impact to the war, but that doesn't mean I didn't want more from them.

It's like this: I understand why they can't be in it more, but I'm greedy.

Another thing that worried me was the idea that 'Infinity War' would be dark in tone and unlike the former Marvel movies where there was a good amount of comic relief, there would be none to escape from the intensity of the situations that are playing on screen. Turns out I was wrong, in fact the movie mostly felt like a breeze because the lovable characters we've followed are still the same: cracking jokes, having petty arguments, all that we would expect from even the most serious of heroes.


Even so, there's a lot riding on the heroes to save the Earth- besides the obvious- as the film stresses the theme of love in all forms. Each character has something to lose if Thanos gets all of the infinity stones, and to lose those things would mean an inner death to themselves.

I'm referring to love like Tony Stark and Pepper Potts's romance, or Rocket Racoon's fatherly bond with Groot, or Black Panther's commitment to Wakanda. There are all forms of love rooted in each hero that they are fighting for, which doesn't make them appear to be fighting in this war just for the thrill of it all.

It's pleasant to watch these relationships play out, since you can see how far a lot of the characters came from since their first films. It also tells how diverse each one is in personality, which makes this production even more impressive by having to juggle all of them around. Yet even with the comic relief and heartwarming moments, the progression of the film does bring the situation to light as being incredibly threatening to everybody's lives. Thanos was be a force to be reckon with and no matter what powers someone had, no one was safe from his wrath.

The movie ends in a way that left me speechless and feeling numb throughout my body, as if I was merely a set of eyes floating in the theater, my focus glued to the screen. I would assume that everyone else felt a similar way, as there was no noise omitted in the last couple of minutes and no one even gave a round of applause once the credits rolled as we simply just left the theater in silence. The ending is certainly one for the books, but I'd be lying if I said that I was completely satisfied.

Fun fact: I am often irritated with unconventional endings, in other words, endings that people are not satisfied with. This is because nine times out of ten there will be a sequel to rectify the situation and therefore, all would be well again and it's like nothing ever happened.

This movie's ending would be much more emotional for me if I had something in my heart that told me, "Nothing will change this," but I can guarantee you something will change for the better. Yes, Marvel Studios has amazingly developed characters that have a bounty of storylines in their respective comics, but sometimes a movie can be appreciated more if things end negatively because it's more likely for people to still be talking about this ending and the guts it took to leave this particular storyline alone and done with.


I'm tired of these constant happy endings where people are too afraid to hit at the jugular and keep things the way they are. It's fun to try new things, experiment with unique endings, not having all this chaos occur and then someone can snap their fingers and everything is good again. This doesn't mean I don't get sad when I actually find a movie that goes the extra limit when necessary, but it's good to be sad. It's good to be disappointed; it's a part of life. Not everything has a happily ever after.

Based on what I've learned about the power of the infinity stones, plus valuable information given by a couple of characters, I would try to not take the ending seriously because I believe that it is not what it seems.

The settings in this film are vast and beautiful, and a lot of them are recognizable since they were present in previous films. The galaxy, Wakanda, all of this is shown in the movie and more and I really don't have much to say on this part. It was all pretty well done.

It's incredibly hard to talk much further about the movie without spoilers, so I will end this review. Just note that I want to talk about each major character very briefly. Below my rating for the movie and before the spoiler section, there will be a list of my thoughts on each character in 'Infinity War' in less than four sentences.


'Infinity War' was certainly worth the money spent and it's hard to pin point where the story will lead. According to my theater and I, there didn't seem to be anybody who expected what we got and even now I am struggling to cope with the events that I witnessed on opening night.

Would I recommend seeing it? Absolutely. Would I buy it when it comes out on DvD? Yes.
Would I watch it again? Despite how well done it is, I don't know if I have the heart to re-watch it.

I give 'Avengers: Infinity War' a 5 out of 5 stars.
.
.
.

CHARACTERS

Iron Man- Big contribution to the war, one of the most helpful I say. Always funny.

Doctor Strange- Kind of a jerk, but already was from the get-go. Has a turn around though. Provides probability of victory for heroes which makes me wonder about the sequel.

Spider Man- Great acting from Tom Holland. Very lovable and funny, but also made me feel the saddest for him.

Thor- Pretty much has a deux ex machina moment. Proves his worth as an Avenger and I am very proud of him.

Captain America- Not feeling the beard. I'm still upset about Civil War. I bet that he was going to die.

Winter Soldier- Precious human being who deserved none of what he got. Often seems to get the short end of the stick. Seems more at peace with himself and I wish I got more personal moments with him and Captain America.

Black Widow- I've never been interested in this character. Every time she is on screen I feel annoyed. I feel bad for that, but she contributed well to the war.

Bruce Banner- Barely contributes to the war. Seems to be picked on when he's not being helpful. I guess when it's life or death, you can't really blame anyone for being mad at Bruce.

Black Panther- Wished I saw him more. Helped in bringing a lot of backup for war.

Okoye- Awesome character. Also pretty funny.

Shuri- A little of a jerk for throwing shade at Bruce. Curious about her outcome.

Scarlet Witch- Decent person who always seems to look sad. Did things that most people couldn't bring themselves to do.

Vision- I assumed he'd die more than Captain America because he has an infinity stone in his head. Tragic character. One of the kindest heroes.

Star Lord- Ruins everything for everyone. I still like him though; I'm just being mean and I know I would do the same thing he did if I was in his place.

Gamora- Great to see her opening up to Star Lord more. Unwillingly contributes to the war in a bad way.

Drax- I relate to this character so much, I love him. His quotes sounds like something I'd say.

Mantis- Adorable character with interesting powers.

Rocket- Cool racoon with a soft heart. A tough loving dad to Groot.

Groot- Teenage Groot is stereotypical to what people think what teenagers act like, but it didn't bother me much. More helpful towards the end of the movie.

Thanos- Shows more than just evil in his heart. I kind of understand his motives, but he is still evil and I want him gone.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!
.
.
.
.
.

I wonder who is going to be the first superhero to show up in this long-awaited movie? Loki! Well, you're not a hero, but I guess this will work...Thor! There you are!

*Sees Loki die at the hands of Thanos*...He's fine.

Thor died too? He can't die before the title card! He's one of the bigger characters on the poster, but how could he escape that blast? This can't be the end of Thor and Loki- after three movies!

I just don't like Tony and Pepper together. I really don't, it seems so odd picturing them romantically.

I never thought of Iron Man and Doctor Strange talking together, but the dialogue is full of snarky comments that are hilarious. How could I not see this coming?

Ned, you are so awesome! I'd want a friend like Ned.

Hello, Stan Lee bus driver. I suppose that's the only plausible way to cameo in this movie, unless you want to be a superhero

Squidward. Really? This will get dated now. What year will be the starting point of where kids will have no clue what Spongebob Squarepants is? There appears to be no end in sight.

What Bruce says about, "I don't want to, but when do I ever get what I want?" is relatable.

Pepper, get out of here with that, "You better come back or else" because you know that city has been attacked more than once. If Doctor Strange tells your fiancée to help him save the world, he better save that world before he go home to you tonight. What, you going to break up with him if he doesn't come back in time? Well, you probably broke up at the end of the movie if you were one of the people that disintegrated.

This coupling of Scarlet Witch and Vision is pretty cute, but boy are they in for tragedy. I can smell it before it even happens.

Vision may have been saved now, but he will die by the end of the movie. Mark my words!

Black Widow....ugh

I am not feeling this Captain America beard

So this is how they'll connect Black Panther to this. How does Captain America know about Wakanda? Right, Bucky! That's right.

Seeing the Guardians of the Galaxy with everyone else in this movie feels weird; I always dissociate them away from Marvel even though I know they are clearly a part of Marvel!

Thor! I knew you weren't dead! Now where's Loki?

There they go focusing only on his stunning looks, but I mean, the guardians have a God at their grasp. That's like having Jesus Christ on my dinner table...with an eye patch.

Star Lord and Gamora's kiss was sweet. In the beginning, I wasn't a fan of them as a couple but I like it now. It makes sense to me.

"I've mastered the ability of standing so still...that I am invisible to the eye," I love Drax so much. This is not what I expected for Batista, but he does a great job in acting!

I'm surprised Gamora would cry over Thanos' supposed death, but then again I'm not. After all, this was someone who raised her from a very young age. It's similar to a lot of people's situation, your parents may be bad, could even be downright evil, but at the end of the day you've grown so attached to them that it's difficult to see yourself living without them around- that normalcy. Oh my goodness, I just cracked the case on why people marry people like their fathers.

Oh yeah, Bruce and Black Widow had a thing. Something just irks me about that so much.

Nebula! I was worried you wouldn't show up, but I wished you didn't look so...creepy. Seriously, that contraption looks painful.

Red Skull is the keeper of the soul stone? Did I miss something in the first Captain America movie? How does this make sense if he was...nevermind.

I was with Gamora that Thanos didn't love anybody, but when it showed that he was hesitating to throw her off the cliff, I gained some more respect for the writing. This is where I realized that Thanos is not one-dimensional. Yes, he's a bad guy and maybe his love is misconstrued, but that's his way of loving somebody.

So he really killed Gamora...and Loki. That can't be. I'll accept Gamora's death before I accept Loki's.

Spider man and Mantis are both precious. Please don't fight.

"I'll do you one better. WHY is Gamora?" One of my favorite lines.

"We kick names and take ass," Mantis, I love you.

Now is a great time to realize Gamora is dead. Of course it is, so Star Lord can freak out. Only one more minute and everything would have been fine. Darn it, Star Lord. My likability for you has gone down just a tiny bit. I know it shouldn't, but it sure has.

Starbucks recently had some heat for one of the stores having put out two African Americans for no reason. I don't think you'd want a Starbucks, Okoye.

Winter Soldier and Captain America...they are so cute together. I know they will never be a couple, but my 12 year old heart would ship them in a heartbeat. Heck, I ship them now.

"I'm sure you tried your best," The way Shuri said that to Bruce hurt me. Bruce has gone through enough okay? Not everyone is able to acquire the tools to learn the knowledge that you've acquired, so you shouldn't be putting other people down like that.

Peter Dinklage is a giant dwarf? Well if that don't beat all.

Winter Soldier and Rocket kicking butt together is a moment I didn't know I needed.

Vision is so pure and understanding of what he needs to do to save the world. Such a great person, but darn does this movie love to hurt him. Get killed by your love only to be brought back to life to be killed again? He just doesn't get a break.

What a turn around! Thor going from being possibly dead to being the one to defeat Thanos! It takes a God to kill a Titan. Wait...aim for the head? No!

The scene with Thanos and little Gamora was beautiful.

Oh my God, Bucky...No! Not again! Don't go again, please. Why does this keep happening in front of Captain America too? The poor fangirls! The angst fan fiction! The fan art! The horror! No! My heart will never be the same...

Scarlet Witch looks so sad being disintegrated. She-like Vision- has gone through hell. Maybe in a way, this is her only way to get peace. So if they bring her back to life, I will be mad because she'll no longer being in peace.

Black Panther only got one movie and is already dead. Thanks a lot, Marvel.

Spider man's pleading that he doesn't want to die reminds me of the scene in Spiderman: Homecoming when he was crushed by the rubble and crying for help. He's just a kid in a crazy world and he did all he could to help. He shouldn't be saying sorry. It's not his fault. Tom Holland about to make me cry.

That scene where the Hulk is running through the trees with Captain American and Okoye never happened. The Hulk was barely in this at all.

"Thanos will return," No!

I thought I'd be out of this theater feeling okay, but I'm not okay. I promise.






















































No comments:

Post a Comment

MY HUSBAND WON'T FIT (EP. 1-5)

Check out my first installment of my 3-part breakdown of this Japanese series. Please LIKE & SUBSCRIBE for updates. Thank you! https://w...