Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Doctor Strange (2016)

A former neurosurgeon embarks on a journey of healing only to be drawn into the world of the mystic arts. (Source-Imdb.com)

Trailer- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwcSki7r9cQ

Rating- PG-13
Genre- Fantasy/Science Fiction
Warnings- Fantasy violence


As much as I am a fan of the Marvel universe, I knew very little about the character Doctor Strange until I watched this movie. Through the big screen, I got to witness what kind of character Strange is and how he still has a strong enough fanbase to have his own movie.

However, was bringing Strange into popular media the right decision or were we cursed with a mediocre movie that will be remembered for years?

Doctor Stephen Vincent Strange was a character full of powerful mystic magic who debuted in 1963 in the comic Strange Tales #110. After many years and at least one movie titled Dr. Strange (1978), popular actor Benedict Cumberbatch would come to play the doctor. 

                                     

Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange was well preformed, I got a kick out of watching him with his sarcastic remarks and panicked behavior as he trained to be a sorcerer. I have no complaints about Cumberbatch, and I'm never even watched his other works (e.g Sherlock) so this is the first time I really watched this man act and I got to say, he's a good actor.

The character itself was one of complexity, you either love him or hate him for his attitude towards others- particularly in the beginning of the movie. Regardless of how you think of Strange though, the adventures he goes through makes you curious about where it will take him and what will become of him. You do have enough concern for the character to see if he makes it out okay.

I was never very good at deciphering every detail on these type of magical movies that involve learning the art of sorcery and the inner mind so some parts did confuse me and I wasn't sure why things were happening and how. I would suggest to take this comment with a grain of salt. 

Other characters involved were The Ancient One (Tilda Swinton), Mordo (Chiwetel Ejiofor) and Christine Palmer (Rachel McAdams). All were good performers and really were essentially to Strange's growth both physically and emotionally. 


The action scenes were incredibly fun to watch and you can see the creativity put into the combat and the way the combat is being preformed. I was even a little jealous that I couldn't have certain powers the characters did so I can try to fight that way myself-not that I'd need to.

The main villain felt generic and like the typical bad guy who wants people to join the dark side, yet there is exposition about him that made me disappointed that they wouldn't let the villain himself expose that information more to the audience and really know how he went from point A to point B.

There are slight plot twists in the movie that I really appreciated, very minor but they do impact the story a lot. Things such as how Strange's relationships uphold to how a fight progresses did a left turn and took a risk at being unconventional; I say the risk paid off.


Ultimately, I found "Doctor Strange" to be a very fun and exciting adventure that follows someone who wouldn't be considered the usual good guy, but is forced into tough situations. What he does with that will take you on a big trip through time and space and leave you with some laughs. Very few jokes can be considered dated and they are far between each other so it doesn't feel annoying. Most of the characters are pretty strong and multidimensional, the action is great and the story goes at what I would consider a decent pace. I would rate this a 4 out of 5 stars.


SPOILERS AHEAD!!!
.
.
.
.
.

Benedict Cumberbatch, woo!

Are they dating? Okay, they are dating and wow, Cumberbatch screwed that relationship up quick didn't he?

Is this what you feel like when you're high?

Nice twist that the lady threw Strange out of the place.

What would have happened if Strange died on the mountain? Someone would have had a guilty conscious, right?

These jokes about wifi and Beyonce will make this movie dated.

Generic movie villain. I want to know more about his family and how he lead to such pain through his mouth instead of others

That fight scene with their spirits in the hospital was so cool! Must be terrible for an ordinary man to deal with this supernatural nonsense, though isn't that every superhero movie?

Of course SOMEONE important has to die. Always, always, always.

Good for you Christine, you didn't kiss him after he treated you like crap and didn't reappear in your life until months afterwards. Good for you.

Strange reappearing only to die kept reminding me of when I would play video games and I die at a big boss and I have to restart the game and watch the cutscene before I die again.

It's a morbid thought to know that everyone down that block just died and if Strange didn't have his powers, all men, women and children would be massacred.

Mordo is leaving now, makes way for him to be a villain and have a sequel about that.




No comments:

Post a Comment

MY HUSBAND WON'T FIT (EP. 1-5)

Check out my first installment of my 3-part breakdown of this Japanese series. Please LIKE & SUBSCRIBE for updates. Thank you! https://w...