Monday, March 19, 2018

Tomb Raider (2018)

Lara Croft is the fiercely independent daughter of an eccentric adventurer who vanished years earlier. Hoping to solve the mystery of her father's disappearance, Croft embarks on a perilous journey to his last-known destination- a fabled tomb on a mythical island that might be somewhere off the coast of Japan. The stakes couldn't be higher as Lara must rely on her sharp mind, blind faith and stubborn spirit to venture into the unknown (Source- Google.com)

Trailer- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ndhidEmUbI

Rating- PG-13
Genre- Fantasy/Action
Warnings- Minor language/Disturbing imagery


Tomb Raider is one of those games that oozes out nostalgic bliss for many people; ranking similarly with other games like Mortal Kombat or Crash Bandicoot. The adventurous action game was first created in 1996 with the same title, and since then the series has been updated over time, with its most recent version, "Rise of the Tomb Raider" in 2015.

As it is with many popular things, I was not up to date on what Tomb Raider was all about nor how it has changed over time. The most I knew was that Lara Croft explored ancient ruins...I think. So, why did I watch this movie despite knowing very little about this famous character?

Simple. I just wanted to see it.

This wouldn't be a movie that I'd jump at and say, "I have to see this!" but something about this past weekend encouraged me to go out of my comfort zone and watch something I wouldn't normally go for. There's an extra risk to watching a game inspired movie, since it's infamously known that movies based off video games rarely go well.

Dawn of the Dead, The Resident Evil series, and even the previous Tomb Raider movies starring Angelina Jolie are considered to be horrible adaptions for their inspirations. So, willingly paying money to watch this new version of Tomb Raider could have been seen as throwing my money down the drain, but with every thousands duds, there must be a glimmer of hope for some good to arise, right?

Was "Tomb Raider" unable to escape from the clutches of being another awful game adapted film or did it decipher its way to break out of that mold?


In this version of "Tomb Raider," it stars Lara Croft (Alicia Vikander) who attempts to solve the mystery of her father's disappearance. As someone who doesn't know about the original Tomb Raider story, I cannot comment on whether this is accurate to the original, but if it isn't then I don't think I'd be upset.

The series of events felt like it would be in an action-adventure flick and I was invested in Croft's pursuit for her father the entire time. I enjoyed the pacing of the story and the actions scenes, which were very fun to watch.

Action scenes in this case does not just refer to just fighting, but also moments where the adrenaline is at an all-time high. My favorite scene in the movie involved Croft playing a game with her buddies where they have to chase her around the city; that was creative and showed more about Croft's character about how exciting and likable she can be.

Each character from major to minor all felt necessary in order for the story to proceed and there is a good amount of background and build up in the first portion of the film that sets up the second half on solid footing. The second half of the film itself was more ramped up with tension and mystery, as audiences were silent as they wondered how Croft would get out of tight situations that an average person may crumble under.

Personally, the puzzles and tricks set up to defeat Croft were well-executed, because until the character would reveal the answer to these difficult challenges, I was at a lost on how Croft would be able to progress with the story.

Although Croft appeared to be around a person in their young 20s, she had a lot of experience in remaining level-headed strategist. It's beneficial to note that the movie does not start off with Croft being a strong, quick thinker. As all humans, there are a ton of losses before we can succeed; with Croft it was no different.

She gets defeated, feels weak, and is not always quick on her feet. The development within herself to become stronger both physically and mentally than she was in the beginning is more satisfying to watch than seeing someone who was always excellent at everything. What makes this development even better is that through learning about her father, the audience can piece together how she grew up learning to fend for herself and have perseverance to survive in any tough scenario. Thus, her ability to fight, use weapons, and solve puzzles do not come out of the blue.


The film also reveals Croft's congeniality with the people in London, as she's shown to have gained several friends from different backgrounds. She uses her power of adaptability to gain a friend in a down-on-his-luck sailor named Lu Ren (Daniel Wu) who was a likable character.

I can tell he was as big of a comic relief as we were going to get in the film, and I was afraid that would make up the majority of his character, but it wasn't. He was a valuable person to the plot and I looked forward to seeing more of him if this movie is intending on having a sequel- based on the ending of the movie that is highly possible.

The villain of the movie, Mathias Vogel (Walton Goggins) seemed like a typical villain just there to be big and bad with no other characteristic to him. I mean, the villain mentions people dear to his heart, but those people never appear in the movie nor provide any motivation to the evil deeds he does to hinder Croft.

I did like that it was just a regular individual causing the chaos in the story and not some villain that seems out of the realm of the universe, like say Thanos from the Marvel universe or the Aliens from Signs. I think if there is a sequel that could slide, but I'm happy the movie did not go down that route too early.

I didn't have many complaints with this movie, perhaps if I have to say something bad is that I felt a little dumb not understanding most of the puzzles that Croft had to solve, even some twist at the ending that even now I'm not entirely sure what this means for the rest of Croft's story.


Also, I had a couple of minor issues I had about the characters' decisions but it doesn't bother me a lot, though it can be brought up for argument. This movie was a thrill to watch and it would certainly receive a stellar grade and be a shining star amongst the rest of the game adapted movies.

Though I never played the games, the amount of challenges set in Croft's path felt very reminiscent to the few game clips I stumbled across on the internet. The characters were likable and you may even look forward to a sequel, let's just hope they don't screw it up.

I give "Tomb Raider" a 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!
.
.
.
.
.

I wish they cut off the last line that's like, "leaving my daughter forever" because when you show the photo of the dad and Lara together, the audience can assume what the dad means when he says beforehand, "Even if I must do the hardest thing ever." What else do we expect him to say? Abstaining from Taco Bell for the rest of my life?

Is Lara and that girl with the curly hair...together? I got that feeling going on when they were talking.

That guy at the restaurant was so cute! I'd be the same way if I was crushing on someone.

That bike game looks like so much fun! I knew once I saw it that it would be my absolute favorite scene from the movie.

I think the flashback with the father would be better suited when Lara is on top of the building instead of during the bike chase; it seems to throw off the rush and plus, the audience can gather that she is looking at the stranger wondering if it's her father without the flashback.

A kid would not just accept that their parent is leaving them that easily. They'd also not be all cool with the necklace, they'd be like, "that sounds dumb" or "are you sure it works?" not just silently agreeing. I mean, funny coming from me because I was definitely think I was the kid who just accepted things and didn't argue about it, but still.

Don't tell me the sailor guy and Lara are going to be together...I'm sick of these forced romances.

Are they going to kill off Lu Ren? They would have some guts to do that to a character I intend to follow the whole story.

The villain looks a little like the actor for Rick Grimes from The Walking Dead (Andrew Lincoln), doesn't he? Just from certain angles, right?

Okay. Lu and Lara created that whole mess in Mathias' plan to escape, and while Lara escapes Lu stays behind....with that knowledge, why would Mathias just knock him out? Right before the diversion, he murdered a guy for getting sick. So, why would he take a chance on Lu who removed an important person from his group? Because of the plot, of course.

Hey dad, nice to see you! Did you see me kill that guy just now? Pretty cool, right?

"Saving one life is not worth sacrificing the world,"
Life is Strange fans who chose Chloe, are you listening? (game reference)

That guard with the large beard...has he been around in the movie before this? If so, how did I not spot him before? He is fine...but he's going to die. Darn it.

I would have died before figuring out that puzzle with the floor falling out. Never take me on adventures like this.

I'm not quite understanding what's going on. What did the queen do now? I'm still a tiny bit confused.

That infection is disgusting! Everyone just run, what are you standing around for?!

Mathias is going to infect himself with that finger, I'm calling it.

Lara's dad, no! Now Lara will blame herself for your death...although, if she just let you die before then Mathias would have the upper hand and destroy everything. This was the better way.

Attractive beard guy, no!!!

Is Lu going to get more people to be on his sailing crew? If so, that's a sweet ending for him. It implies that he will no longer have money issues and he gained something from this trip too.

Lara, that is cold what you did to Mathias...but he deserved it! You go, Lara!

The dad died in 2018. Hah.

Ah, the privilege of going back to the pawn shop that you disrespected without getting arrested.






No comments:

Post a Comment

MY HUSBAND WON'T FIT (EP. 1-5)

Check out my first installment of my 3-part breakdown of this Japanese series. Please LIKE & SUBSCRIBE for updates. Thank you! https://w...