Monday, December 17, 2018

Spiderman: Into the Spider Verse (2018)

Miles Morales becomes the Spider-Man of his reality and crosses paths with his counterparts from other dimensions to stop a threat to all reality (Source- Imdb.com)

Trailer- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR46T7pSTvQ

Rating- PG
Genre- animation/action/adventure
Warnings- flashing lights


Well this wasn't the type of movie I was expecting this year.

When I think of Spider-Man, I would've never thought of him being together with different sorts of people from other universes. The more I think about it though, there is probably some comic in the thousands of issues out there that talk about this exact scenario, but it's still odd to think about. And also, highly intriguing. I was always fascinated with the idea that we could have alternate versions of ourselves, and the trailer for this movie was to put in the simplest of terms- so cool!

But, being the cautious person I am, I wasn't sure that an animated Spiderman movie would bode well with audiences at this time or if it would hold up to be successful like the live action Spiderman related films that recently appeared like 'Spiderman: Homecoming' or 'Avengers: Infinity War.'

I went into this movie feeling excited for it but also doing my best to not let my excitement get the better of my judgement. So, I have to ask you if you think this movie gave me a new, awesome Spiderman origin story to follow or did it just trap me in its web of lies?

The plot for 'Spiderman: Into the Spider Verse' is as follows: The audience follows Miles Morales (Shameik Moore), a teenage boy from Brooklyn who is bit by a radioactive spider and discovers that he is one of many Spider heroes from multiple universes. Morales is introduced to these unique individuals, but they have to work together to stop a force that plans to destroy all of their worlds.


One of my concerns going into this film is that it would be too much. I saw the trailer beforehand, so I knew of how many characters would be introduced and it worried me that there wouldn't be enough time to explain them all. But the film provides clever ways to compensate for this. There is a clear hierarchy of importance with the characters we are introduced to, with Morales being at the top and as the movie goes on we're witnessed to new people who decrease in importance. This doesn't mean that the movie did bad in showing their new characters; in fact, this makes things better.

With that many people, if they were all shoved in with equal development it would crowd your brain and make it hard to focus on the story. So, what was needed to be said was said, and I was satisfied with that. For the characters that weren't touched upon as much, there wasn't really a reason not to change that. A sequel would be nice, but if I never saw those characters again then I wouldn't feel like I was missing anything. After all, the story was about Morales- who by the way is my favorite character.

I don't think it's often for me to like the star of a movie, but with Morales I knew I would like him once he came on screen. I had one of those moments that many children probably have where you look at the screen and think to yourself, "That is me. I am being represented." Granted, I am not a teenage boy living in Brooklyn, but certain elements reminded me of myself and home.

His character was so diverse from his cultural background to his personality. He sometimes has trouble showing emotion, but he's not dark and brooding. He has some good friends, but he's not the best with the ladies. Morales just reminds me of someone who I could just hang out with, and is not a stereotype, which elevates this movie to a whole different level.

His arc was well put together too, although sometimes really hard to watch because I felt his pain as he tried to live up to be a new Spiderman in his universe. I could sense how I would react in those situations, and it made it all the more real for me. So once the audience notices Morales started to understand his powers, it makes things all the more fulfilling because there was a lot of effort put into getting to that point.


The other spider heroes were well done too, and I've grown to like each of them by the end of the movie. They're all distinct from one another, but the story somehow makes them connected in their origin story which is a running gag in the movie that I found to be funny. A couple of spider heroes came off as really wacky, but thankfully the movie doesn't focus so much on that and as a result I was able to like them more than what I was expecting. The comic reliefs were great when needed, and certainly plays on the different types of spider heroes we've gotten over the years, but I'm glad the writers knew it was better to let the main story take its course without too much interference from side or minor characters (wherever you'd put them, if you saw the film).

The villain of the movie was a typical villain in appearance but their background showed that they too had a heart in need of mending, even though the way they go about it isn't the best. It's also someone that some people have seen in the Spiderman universe already if you're a big fan of the series, so it's no one new. Still, there are a couple of plot twists are thrown in here and there throughout the story that make sense, so they're not just thrown in for dramatic effect.


The animation was my biggest concern going into this because I wasn't used to it. I knew it was going for this comic book style, but I feared it would make the characters look more stiff in their movement or a little too cartoony to take seriously- if that makes sense. However, the film plays on the animation excellently, even blatantly including comic book panels at times to direct the plot forward as well as present how the series of events would be addressed.

My favorite play on the comic book designs was how they would write up the sound effects made in the background like "Bam" or "Chirp" or how a character would think aloud and the thought bubbles would pop up behind them. It made me feel like a kid again reading comic books in my bedroom, even though that barely happened! It just gave me this warm feeling of joy.

The soundtrack was also crazy good! A lot of the music felt reminiscent of Brooklyn too, that urban hip-hop beat. It helped me connect with the New York that was presented on screen. For those that never been to New York, particularly Brooklyn, the way that it was presented in this movie gives you a good idea of what it's like- the good and bad of it all. Also, be on the look out for some funny easter eggs when they are in New York, because they show Times Square a number of times and every time there was something new to catch.


I feel like this review was much shorter than my other ones, but I can't recall anything else that I could say about this movie. If you look in the spoiler section I mention a few things I'm not particularly fond of, but they don't overshadow how fun this was to watch. If I had to say a few complaints, I'd comment on how at times scenes that weren't involving fighting went by really quickly and some transitions felt too choppy.

I would also recommend taking precautions if you or anyone you know is prone to seizures before watching this movie as the introduction and ending has long durations of flashing and vibrant colors and the final battle scene has a ton of bright, flashing colors as well.

I don't think this is a movie that should be connected to the big Marvel universe that we are following with Tom Holland's Spiderman, but it's a great movie to share with the whole family. I would watch it again if someone asked me to do so, and buy it for DvD if there were kids roaming around my house- which there aren't. The protagonist is very likable as are the other characters, the music and animation felt innovative, and it looks like it's a great shape for a possible sequel.

I give 'Spiderman: Into the Spider Verse' a 5 out of 5 stars.

Share my Link Video that's on my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJxoClFNsOU



SPOILERS AHEAD!!!
.
.
.
.
.

One expectation I have for this movie is that I want them to address Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy's relationship in his universe. I feel like it's not something that you can just brush aside. Gwen freaking died in his universe! If they don't mention that somehow I'll be upset.

The introduction is really cool, but gosh did it fly so fast with those colors. I don't know if people who are prone to seizures should see this movie.

Did I see that correctly or was Mary Jane the one upside down in the famous kissing scene? Why in the world would she be tied upside down in an alley way? The only one who could do that is Spiderman, so did he purposely put her in that position so they could have a cool kiss scene?

Miles has a Latin mom? I know his last name was Morales, but I didn't expect them to add a Latina speaking Spanish in the movie. It reminds me of my own mom how she went back in forth with English and Spanish, and in that moment I felt how many other children must have felt where they feel like the character on screen. It was a warm moment for me.

Oof, that transition where Miles is cut off while saying "In a minute" felt really choppy...

That was an awesome moment where Miles passed by his friends and you hear different languages being spoken. It feels like my own town.

Uncle Aaron, eh? If anyone's going to die in Miles' universe, it has to be the uncle. The uncles always die...

I love the tiny jokes the kids are cracking right after Miles was forced to say I love you to his dad. Very reminiscent of real life and how people are jerks.

Having your shoe untied is a trend actually. I know of someone who does that.

Miles was late again to class? Isn't this his first day?

So, is it going to be a thing where Gwen exists in Miles' universe but she also exists in another universe and Miles bonds so much with Spider Gwen that he goes on to date his Gwen?

This "Hey" exchange between Miles and Uncle Aaron feels awkward to me, but I guess that what makes it funny because everyone else was cracking up. I laughed too, but it was more to follow the crowd.

Funny moment where Miles just kills the spider nonchalantly. That would be me.

Why IS that girl so tall? (Pfft, I should talk. People talked about my height a lot growing up)

Miles freaking out is seriously a great representation of anxiety. Is this the consequences of being Spiderman (or woman)? Established anxiety?

Damn, King Pen, those shoulders are thick!

Why is Peter Parker blond? There is not one version of Peter that I've seen that has him with that blond of hair.

*Sees Peter Parker killed by King Pen* ....He's fine.

Guess Miles' dad feels like crap now that their Spider man is dead.

Stan Lee cameo! Ugh, seeing cameos of him after his death makes it more powerful.

You wonder, huh...superheroes have to save the world all the time, and one day, they will die like the rest of us. It makes you think, they are (sometimes) human too and we won't have them forever, so we should cherish them for as long as we have them. Gosh, is this foreshadowing for 'Avengers: Endgame?'

I'd probably be that person to say, "I don't think he was talking about you personally. It's more like a metaphor."

When Miles ran back down the staircase, I thought back to the movie Venom where Venom mocks Eddie for not jumping off the building.

Did you see Peter B. smash the glass in his origin story montage? He's Jewish!

I made sure to look around Times Square to find some references and here are a few I saw. They had a billboard ad of Stephen Curry, a parody of Shaun of the Dead titled something like From Death till Shaun and Bridesmaids was replaced with Baby Showers.

That's New York for you. People could drop from the sky and people wouldn't give a damn about it.

You see, I thought Peter B. Parker was the original Peter Parker from what I interpreted in the trailer.

Even though Peter B. is supposed to be the lower rate version of Peter Parker, I personally think he looks better. I think it's the stubble that gets me.

I had a feeling Miles would've gotten the power of a bigger memory since Peter B. memorized a code.

I really like that science lady's character design. It's different. Also, is she crushing on Peter B.?

Nope, she's not. She's Dr. Oct. That's so cool!

I thought Miles and Peter B. were going to smack right against a tree as they were swinging together.

Okay, so Gwen's universe has her feeling guilty over her Peter's death. But hold up, you mean to tell me that 16 year old Peter was that ripped? Maybe even younger than that, because if you remember by the end of the movie Gwen says she's older than Miles by 15 months, but not before saying that he was 15- meaning that she is 16. No 16 year old could be that ripped! Well...

Aunt May is so cool in this universe!

Nicholas Cage is the noir Spider man? Guess this makes up for him not being Superman.

Why do I get the feeling that I'm not going to like the spider pig?

That line from Noir Spider man about, "I light a match to try and feel something" is amazing.

Spider Gwen is a ballet dancer? I didn't catch that in her origin story. I thought she was in a band.

The other spider heroes pressuring Miles to get up made me really anxious and left a bad taste in my mouth. Again, a resemblance of anxiety with all of these voices yelling at you and you don't have the strength to get back up because of it.

Why are these spider heroes such jerks? Yes, the talking behind Miles' back was meant as a joke, but it just made me annoyed with them. I've truly enjoyed Miles and if anyone hurts him, I will hurt them.

Uncle Aaron is the henchman! Why else would he visit the apartment? Also, I would've found it funny if he just sat and watched tv in his costume.

I thought Dr. Oct was going to kidnap Aunt May, to which I would've reacted like, "Oh come on! Again?!"

That photo of Peter Parker on the wall in his suit and glasses is so adorable.

Why was the villain's words translated but not the mother's if they both speak Spanish? *gasp* Did they do that because it was only AFTER Miles got bit that the comic book affects started happening? If so, nice choice.

Uncle Aaron is not going go so far as to try and kill Miles. There's no way. Oh good, I was right-oh no! Well, I did say all uncles die in Spiderman films...

Uncle Aaron's final words weren't all impactful to me, but then again, when you're dying all of a sudden it's hard to conjure up this excellent speech before your last breath.

Now the father is going to try to kill Miles? This just doesn't end...

I wish there was more interaction with Miles' roommate, like how Ned was to Peter in Spiderman: Homecoming.

I hate the feeling of being ostracized by other people because you're different, which is why this whole "You're not ready, Miles" arc isn't as pleasing to watch as I think it should be. I get it, and I also get why I feel this way.

It's nice to see a big police officer like Miles' dad get emotional for the audience. Crying isn't weak, folks!

Couldn't Miles just grab one of the Spider man suits that look most like what he wants? No, because we need him to ruin a suit with spray paint to show that he's an individual. I'm reaching, I know.

I was never a fan of Mary Jane (at least the Kristen Dunst's version) but they made her likable in this one. I know, she got like two scenes of her talking, but...maybe that's what was needed? I'm sorry Mary Jane fans!

The back and forth about the "bread" was hilarious.

The other Spider heroes are going to need Miles when they're all glitching like that. I bet that will be what saves them.

I didn't catch what Peter B. said the first time when he reunited with Miles, but I managed to figure it out and he said, "Wait, do I want kids?" and that made me a tiny bit upset. I'm not the biggest fan of story arcs that involve someone who doesn't want kids learning that he actually does want kids, because I feel like it's telling people who don't want kids that, "You just don't want any because you're insecure about yourself, you don't think you can do it, and once you get this experience then you'll come around." There are people that will never want to be a parent and that doesn't make them damaged or a bad person for thinking that way, so Peter B. could have still had his issue with his Mary Jane but without the, "she wanted kids, I didn't" part.

Was it necessary for Penny's robot to die during this fight? We don't get as much time with her along with Noir Spiderman and Spider Pig, so this death feels lackluster.

*Sees Spider Gwen and Miles talking before she returns to her universe* ...Oh, just kiss why don't cha?

Is it wrong for me to think that the position Miles and Peter B. were in was romantic? NOT BETWEEN THEM! Hear me out, the way Miles literally held Peter B. over the edge to save him (and also prove a point) but I just pictured this intense rescue scene between two lovers and it was really cute to imagine. Maybe I'll draw it.

I just love how Peter B. was dead set on dying to save the universe, but Miles just flips his own words on him and Peter B. is like, "Yup, you're good." Like, no! If my math teacher said I was going to fail a test because I didn't study, and I respond like, "I just need to take a leap of faith" he won't be like, "You're right, you'll do fine by yourself." I'll still fail...I'm reaching again.

What was the point of King Pen seeing his wife and son in the train? They were holograms (or whatever you call it) but he treated them like they were real. Why? They're clearly not there. My mother commented on that scene though saying that he thought his family was re-forming into existence again, which got me thinking that the point of that scene was to reveal that even if King Pen's family returned, it would just revert back to the last time he knew them which is where he was discovered attacking Spiderman.

That face Miles made when he was hugging his dad when the eyes of his mask got all small was adorable.

So Peter Parker is really dead in this universe? That sucks.

Was that Gwen contacting Miles at the end? That was an ending that knows it wants a sequel.

I stayed for the first after-credits scene with the Stan Lee dedication which was lovely, but I left before the other one and that was a big mistake...It was amazing. If you missed it too, it's on Youtube.









No comments:

Post a Comment

MY HUSBAND WON'T FIT (EP. 1-5)

Check out my first installment of my 3-part breakdown of this Japanese series. Please LIKE & SUBSCRIBE for updates. Thank you! https://w...