Friday, June 30, 2017

Transformers: The Last Knight (2017)

Autobots and Decepticons are at war, with humans on the sidelines. Optimus Prime is gone. The key to saving our future lies buried in the secrets of the past, in the hidden history of Transformers on Earth. (Source- Imdb.com)


Trailer- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AntcyqJ6brc

Rating- PG-13
Genre- Action, Adventure, Sci Fi
Warning- Crude humor, minor language


My father wanted to watch the latest Transformers movie in theaters, so my family and I agreed to watch it with him although deep down I personally wasn't looking forward to it. The Micheal Bay Transformers' franchise has been consistently receiving mediocre to very low ratings with critics and I often agreed with their reviews over how poorly the movie portrays their characters, action scenes, and development.

In spite of all of that, given that the trailers implied that this would be the final Transformers movie, I had some hope that there would be a new way of showing off the story of this grand scale adventure.

On that note, was Transformers: The Last Knight go down in the history books as a great film or will it fall in unison with its predecessors being named as another failed movie of the franchise?

This is the 5th movie in the series and supposedly the last one, and I think I've watched all but one of the movies. Yet, I felt this story was just bland altogether. Perhaps if this was a stand alone movie this would work, because time and time again we've seen the similar formula with the presence of the military, taking some valuable object, the moral of protecting the humans and so on.

I actually have trouble expanding on the cons of this movie because I feel like it's been expressed in my 2014 review of Transformers 4, plus it's a common issue I've come across throughout all of the movies. I might as well make a list of them but I also want to try my best to explain my reasoning behind my opinions. Plus, it would be pretty awkward to have the review end here.

I'll start off the the story. I might be wrong but sitting in that theater felt like I was watching the same exact story as the previous one, except we finally see something new about the Autobots and where they originated from. I found it odd how they would introduce it this late into the series, especially when the title of every movie includes Transformers.


The Transformers don't seem to get as much screen time as the humans. It stars the same character from the previous film, Cade Yeager (Mark Walhberg) with new females leads Vivian (Laura Haddock) and Izabella (Isabela Moner). The trio help the Autobots save the world, but they sure couldn't help save the story.

From the development of the story, it was clear to me that the trio of characters would eventually end up being together as a family unit given the circumstances each of them were dealing with whether it be loss of family or lack of love life.

When it came to Cade, he felt like you're typical male antagonist with only one trait attached to his person. As for Vivian and Izabella, they were either once again sexualized for their bodies by having men comment on their bodies or behaved like the typical bad ass character who they pressure you to love. I actually ended up liking Vivian- the adult- more than the child Izabella, I guess I couldn't connect with her character as much as the writers wanted me to.


To be fair, at least I liked watching Izabella more than the actual robots. It's a sad day when even Bumblebee begins to annoy you, but the more Michael Bay pushes out sequels the less love is with these characters. Almost every single robot came off to me as a comic relief which seriously throws off the drama of the story, with having the jokes being mostly a miss than a hit.

The humor is childish in my opinion, something kids would likely enjoy but not adults as it shows how the writers didn't care to put more effort into the comedy aspect of the movie. If they did, they at least they could trim the jokes, meaning have less of them, and elevate some of them so the jokes don't always come from the same genre of comedy and it can reach the funny bones of more people.

Last thing I wan't to quickly talk about is Optimus Prime himself. If you have been following the series, you know he is the leader of the Autobots and everyone's hero, although in here Optimus is missing. Is it just me or have they always pulled this sort of trick since the 2nd movie?

You know, when you think all is lost because Optimus is either missing or dead but it never stays permanent. The element of surprise is leaving this franchise as I'm sure many will be certain that nothing terrible will happen to the main characters, at least not for long.


In the end, I would not recommend this movie to anyone unless- as I would say to all of the movies- you love action. There is a ton of action scenes and if you push back the repetitive story, bland characters and annoying side characters, this will have you intrigued. Otherwise, if my dad didn't want to see this movie, I would have never watched it for myself.

I give Transformers: The Last Knight a 3 out of 5 stars.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!
.
.
.
.
.

Stereotypical nerd and black kid.

Izabella telling off those kids about not knowing her situation because they probably live in fancy houses may sound tough, but I thought she was being a major jerk for it. I know she went through a lot, but the kids weren't trying to hurt the robots and hey Izabella, have you ever been so curious you walked around somewhere you shouldn't have? I'm sure you did, because kids do that. Don't make children feel bad for their living situations just because they can't understand why you are living in a dump. It doesn't happen everyday you know.

But really, why are you living there? What do you eat?

Ugh, are we really starting a love story between Izabella and the nerdy kid?

Bumblebee falling apart was anticlimactic. Oh, nevermind he's all right.

The military is important, but I'm getting tired of seeing the military in these movies. It's always the military!

So the teenage daughter of Cade is in college now, nice excuse to get her out of the movie.

Well Izabella, I suppose the death of your parents affected you very little that you quickly get happy when seeing a robot. Also, did you have no other family members to turn to when your parents died? You probably had a phone, or asked to call someone on someone else's phone.

Not to date any bad boys? So the daughter's boyfriend in the previous movie didn't work out.

The junk in her trunk joke was so lame I have nothing much to say about it.

Vivian will be taught that Merlin is real, I'm sure.

I notice how pushy Vivian's family is to find a man. Well, Cade's wife died. I wonder what will happen...

Evil Optimus Prime, oh no. Looks like he will be evil forever and kill everybody! (Sarcasm)

So those kids from the beginning aren't main characters, are they? I thought they would be included more. Same with Izabella, I'm sure she will return but I didn't know they'd stray from her this much.

The British robot making the music was funny. I laughed!

Ugh, Vivian is wearing a dress with cleavage. I bet they're going to comment on it. Yes, they did with Cade calling her slutty. Really? They are pushing for their relationship in the weirdest way.

Well we get Mark Walhberg abs, so I guess it's even...?

Squeaks is the only character I truly like.

So Optimus gets out of his evil state because of Bumblebee's voice? He loves him, there's no other way. That was a strong hypnosis, and you telling me only a friend's voice will get them out of it. Stop playing.

Izabella and Vivian are going to be the new daughter-mother pair for Cade.

I knew it! I freaking knew it! There will be a sequel anyways even though it's called The Last Knight. You're so sneaky! I'm sick of these movies. I'm sick sick sick of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

MY HUSBAND WON'T FIT (EP. 1-5)

Check out my first installment of my 3-part breakdown of this Japanese series. Please LIKE & SUBSCRIBE for updates. Thank you! https://w...