Monday, April 2, 2018

Acrimony (2018)

A faithful wife tired of standing by her devious husband is enraged when it becomes clear she has been betrayed (Google.com)

Trailer- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlpunOUxYSo

Rating- R
Genre- Phsycological thriller
Warnings- Inappropriate language/ Violence/ Sexual situations


A movie created by Tyler Perry is a movie I will watch right away; and not for the reason you may think.

Although I have been a big fan of Perry's movies growing up, that's given me the ability to point out how his latest movies have gone completely downhill. I've reviewed one of them on this blog in the past, "Boo! A Madea Halloween" which was arguably the worst Perry movie I've ever seen.

I felt legitimate disappointment at how the stories have cheapened with potty humor jokes and disturbing morals, added with wacky soundtracks replacing the meaningful RnB and Jazz numbers, and the tacky, predictable storytelling that could bore even the biggest Perry fan.

So when I realized "Acrimony" was going to be released soon, it came to my head that I haven't watched a Perry movie in a while and perhaps, just perhaps...things will be different.

Without Madea in this film, there might be some sufficient storytelling that could keep me engaged. I wanted to have that hope, but at the same time I was prepared for if it wasn't good at all. I was ready to laugh at this movie for being a horrible creation from someone who used to be one of my favorite writers.

What do you think? Do you believe that when I came out of the theater I was exultant or had I too become acrimonious like the main character?


The plot of "Acrimony" revolves around female lead, Melinda Gayle (Taraji P. Henson) who behaves- as implied earlier- acrimoniously.

What is acrimonious? Well, the movie actually lists a multitude of definitions that define this term, but I'll describe it here.

Acrimony is a term to describe someone who is bitter or has ill feeling towards someone, and that could not describe Gayle any better.

Through flashbacks, Gayle recounts the story of how she and her ex-husband, Robert (Lyric Bent) met and the turmoil Melinda endures due to Robert's actions. The film proceeds to show Melinda's rage boil up even further, which leads to devastating consequences for everyone in her path.

In the beginning, this story appears to be the typical revenge trope where you root for the main character to give the antagonist their comeuppance, but the story skews that trope and creates a more unique take on the woman getting revenge on her man.

As the movie progresses, the audience is given chances to question the decisions of both the perceived antagonist and protagonist; this makes the audience think also about how credible Melinda's accusations are and whether her vengeful actions are truly justified.


I really liked this change of plot, because I was expecting a more foreseeable future for the characters when it is not the case. I even had made a couple of predictions about what would occur and they were both wrong. If you intend to watch this, expect the unexpected.

There was a unique transition of scenes that was present at least three times throughout the film where a vocabulary word is highlighted on screen and a list of terms would follow along with it. That was a nice little tip for the audience to learn some new terminology that they can use in future conversations, because I didn't know what any of the words meant before they were defined.

Something that I found slight fault with is that on a few occasions it was clear that Perry was able to get away with as easy a time of directing as possible, including the scenes with the therapist that is shown prominently in the trailer.

In the entire movie, you never see that therapist even once, so it was obvious that the therapist character only did a voice over for her lines and it was only Henson performing alone in the room. There is also another scene in the movie where the main character is speaking to a group of people, but they are never present in the same shot.

The shots of these people are framed in a way that you cannot see their whole bodies in the frame, which makes me believe that Henson once again acted out her lines on one day and the group of people on the other day. These type of leeways, especially the therapist scenes can hinder the enjoyment of the movie just a little bit. Although they weren't as problematic as Melinda's voiceovers.

Since there were a lot of flashbacks, the movie makes a point to bring up the present Melinda as she comments on her past, but it is brought up almost every minute. It felt like Melinda was supposed to represent the typical audience member, one who would comment on every single thing like, "You saw that? How could he do that to me?"

The only moments where I found it necessary for Melinda's commentary to be included was during pivotal turning points in her life, like the first time Melinda and Robert met and the exact points in time where her life was impacted in a major way.


Melinda was definitely an angry character and it can be very amusing to watch for the most part. Even though what she goes through is terrible the way she brazenly reacts to them made me smile and drove in the "strong independent woman" trope up a notch.

At the same time, the situations that are inflicted upon Melinda can happen to anybody, making the thriller genre that more evident and reasonably scary. I think the movie has a good unequal balance of comedy and thriller, where the audience could laugh a certain things but overall understanding the gravity of the situation and know that this is not a fun life that Melinda has to endure.

I found Robert to be a realistic depiction of a man who knows how to manipulate people into getting what he wants. I appreciated the fact that he wasn't this over-the-top physically abusive alpha male who clearly is a bad man upon first appearance.

There was a lot more subtlety in the way Robert acted towards Melinda that a lot of people could recognize within other toxic relationships. I could understand why Melinda would tolerate him despite his shortcomings.

A quick appreciation for the music and lighting in the movie. The music is mostly this gentle but somber piano melody that I feel represents the repetition and lost hope of Melinda, same with the lighting. The lighting- specifically in Melinda's house- brought on this somber tone as well with dull grey and blue colors.

I think that if I go in depth about the side characters or details of the plot then I would basically be spoiling the movie for you, so I will end my review around here. This movie really surprised me in a good way, and gave me hope for the future of Perry movies.

I have a feeling that Perry wants to produce Madea movies as straight up comedies and movies without Madea as serious dramas or thrillers, and that's fine. Although Madea movies are getting more and more unbearable, with the appearance of "Acrimony" there might just be some potential for a resurrection- a Madea renaissance if you will.


"Acrimony" makes you come in thinking one thing and making you question everything when it's over. The characters were at times funny, but also tragic, and ultimately I loved nearly every bit of this version of a revenge ploy.

I give "Acrimony" a 4 out of 5 stars.


SPOILERS AHEAD!!!
.
.
.
.
.

Prediction before movie: Either Melinda is telling the truth and her husband has hurt her the whole time or she is making it up and she is really the one who is being hurtful to him; maybe the husband is simply a random guy Melinda is obsessed with

(Seeing all the people in the theater already laughing out loud and making comments at the trailer) This is going to be a very fun crowd

There is never a scene where you see the therapist in this movie. I see how they can get away with less work, and just have the therapist character have a voice over.

Is the friend going to end up with Robert in the future?

Did Robert purposely help Melinda fail her essay so she would feel weak?

"My mom never thought I'd be in college" Suddenly, Melinda gets told her mother died. What a coincidence!

I wish Melinda's voiceover would be quiet sometimes. I see that it is necessary to remind the audience that this is all a flashback, but there are times where there is no need for Melinda to comment on a scene. It's obvious what is happening, and if it's not let the audience think about it.

Melinda's really not going to sleep with Robert on the day of the funeral, right? She is? That is ridiculous.

"her virginity" So she never slept with Devon before Robert. Interesting.

So Melinda basically caused herself not to have children. How sad.

Why did the friend say, "I'll call you later"? Is she sleeping with Robert?

Is the eldest sister (I think she's the eldest) going to be the voice of reason here? Everything she says is what everyone needs to hear.

Is Melinda still going to college or did she just drop out to help Robert? It's not very clear about that.

Robert may not be a good man, but the way he said, "sorry" after the power went out was really cute.

Why is there separate photos of the sisters and mother on the wall? I think it'd be more common if there's just one photo of all of them together. Is it symbolizing their separation?

Wouldn't it be impressive to Prescott to have Robert constantly sending in videos to him rather than being so terrified of him that they'd have a restraining order on him?

"Have you ever asked me what I wanted?" That is deep, but Melinda. Come on, you didn't truly want a fancy apartment and a yacht named after you?

Did they keep the same actors for the husbands of the sisters? I didn't focus on them much, but they look no different than they did 18 years ago.

Judging by how the scene is played, I can assume that the sisters and their husbands' actors were acting one day and Henson the other day, because there isn't a moment where they are physically interacting and the camera only revealed them from the chest up.

Don't tell me you are falling in love with Robert again, Diana. You're a grown woman, you deserve better!

The whole audience was cracking up when Melinda ran out to beat up Robert and the sisters tagged along. Side note: Why has Melinda always been a raging person? Even before meeting Robert, she had this negative attitude. Where did that come from?

For once, Robert is in the right. He didn't cheat again, but if I was Melinda I'd feel like divorcing him too.

Melinda is going to be with her ex-boyfriend, Devon again? That's sweet, but...in the trailer she got mad over Robert's fiancé, so something is up.

Robert is using Diana like he did Melinda. This is so upsetting.

The audience cracked up again when that term came up that meant feeling regretful. I forgot what it was.

Melinda, why do you got to do your sisters and Devon like that? Also, if the eldest sister already knew of the baby her husband had then that's fine, because she didn't seem that phased by the confession and it's never brought up again. As for the middle sister, what do people say about her that is so bad? Was that made up or is there really an issue here?

Robert is engaged to Diana, I knew as soon as Melinda walked into the apartment (because of the trailer)

I did not expect myself to disagree with the main character and wanting the former antagonist to be protected.

If it weren't for Diana's help, Robert would have been the same lazy husband who have no initiative to look for a job. How would Diana have dealt with that if the invention wasn't accepted and they got married anyway and Robert treated her like he did with Melinda? Basically, without being rich Robert would be the same man. I could see why Melinda is vengeful, but this is too much.

Diana is pregnant? Well that married life without a child won't last long. Also, my initial reaction to Diana say the dress was too small was that she was saying she was getting fat.

Diana's outfit on the boat was beautiful. I'd love to wear that.

How did Melinda get on the yacht, get a gun and wear the dress without anyone finding her?

Melinda's death was horrifying. Drowning is one of the worst ways to go, but I wonder if her being chained to the bottom of the ocean is symbolism for her situation. I don't know what it's symbolizing exactly, but theres something in there- I'm sure of it.












No comments:

Post a Comment

MY HUSBAND WON'T FIT (EP. 1-5)

Check out my first installment of my 3-part breakdown of this Japanese series. Please LIKE & SUBSCRIBE for updates. Thank you! https://w...